- 3-4 large sweet potatoes (you can use butternut squash has a low carb option or you can do 1 small butternut squash and 1 large sweet potato)
- 1 bell pepper
- 1 onion
- 1 T olive or avocado oil
- Cilantro – about 1/2 cup chopped
- 1/2 lemon – juiced
- 5 chicken sausage links (1 link per serving, we love Chicken Apple Sausage)
- 2 tsp Paprika
- 2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 2 tsp Cumin
- (^or 2 TBSP curry powder – thats what we use!)
- Optional additions we love: Spinach, Lean Ground Beef, Over Easy Egg
- Heat oven to 425.
- Peal & cut potatoes into small chunks or buy pre chopped.
- Place potatoes in a bowl, drizzle with olive oil & season with a large pinch of salt and curry powder (or spice mix above)
- Roast for 18-20 min
- While potatoes cook:
- dice your bell pepper and onion and set aside
- heat a small pan to med, slice chicken sausage and brown on both sides. Set aside. If using another protein, cook it while sweet potatoes are roasting.
- Once potatoes are done, heat a pan on med and add 1 Tbsp olive oil. When warm, add peppers & onions. Sauté about 5 min
- When veggies are cooked, add sweet potatoes, cilantro, lemon juice, sausage and a large pinch of salt. Stir & taste to see if you need to add any more seasoning. When i make this it is very flavorful! (if you are adding spinach, add it now, stir to wilt and turn off the heat.
This meal is great because it can be breakfast, lunch or dinner! For breakfast we love to add an over easy egg or egg whites. Or for lunch we eat it with wilted spinach mixed in for more volume and veggies with chicken sausage or lean ground beef. And if we have it for dinner we use it as a side dish and make Chicken Tikka Masala to pair with it! This meal has been a staple of ours for YEARS and we never get sick of it!