Tofu Parmesan – High Protein, High Fiber Vegan Meal
Makes 1 serving
For Pasta & Sauce: (you can use store bought sauce if you don’t want to make your own)
- 1 Cup Red Lentil Pasta
- 1/2 cup Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 Garlic Clove – minced (or these frozen garlic cubes – I love these)
- 2 Tbsp Onion – diced
- 6-8 Large Cherry Tomatoes – cut in half
- 5 Fresh Basil Leaves
- 1 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- Baby Spinach
- Salt & Red Pepper Flakes *optional*
Vegan Mozzarella Cheese (Daiya is great & Trader Joes Almond Mozzarella shreds is amazing!)
- 3oz Super Firm Tofu cut into slices (you don’t need to press super firm tofu but I put a small cutting board on top of the slices just to get any extra water out)
- Aquafaba – this is the liquid you drain from chickpeas. (Buy a can of chickpeas, drain and save the liquid)
- Panko Breadcrumbs
- Salt, Garlic Powder, Dried Oregano
Bring a pot of salted water to a boil for pasta & preheat your Air Fryer to 370 for the Tofu. While water is coming to a boil start to get the sauce & tofu ready…
- In a shallow bowl pour in some of the chickpea liquid with a pinch of salt, and in another bowl add the breadcrumbs.
- To the breadcrumbs add a pinch of salt with a good sprinkle of garlic powder & dried oregano.
- Dip the tofu slice in the salted chickpea liquid, then coat it in the breadcrumbs. Set aside until Air Fryer is ready.
- Spray the breaded tofu with cooking spray and cook for 10 minutes, flip, spray and cook another 10 minutes or until it is golden brown and crispy.
- Warm olive oil in a pan on Med heat. Once warm, add onion with a sprinkle of salt and cook for 3-5 minutes. Once onions are soft and opaque, add garlic and halved cherry tomatoes. Sauté, stirring for 1-2 min but be sure to not burn the garlic.
- Add in the crushed tomatoes, basil, oregano, large pinch of salt & red pepper flakes if using. Stir, cover & lower the heat to med low. Let the sauce lightly simmer, stirring frequently.
- Cook Red Lentil Pasta according to package directions (I find that mine cooks in 5-6 minutes, I bought mine from Trader Joes)
- When the pasta is done, drain and add to the pan with your sauce. Stir to combine and keep on low heat to keep warm.
- Put the oven on high broil.
- Add pasta to a bowl, top with tofu and mozzarella cheese.
- Put under the broil for 1-2 min or until cheese has melted.