Wow. WOW. This recipe was r i d i c u l o u s l y good! Ever since going plant based it has been my challenge to create hearty and satisfying dinners for my husband and this was a HUGE hit! The beans & mushrooms give these tacos/quesadillas a meaty bite and you really, truly do not miss the meat in this recipe! Oh..and the vegan queso…I put it on everything. Everything.
Serves 2 (2-3 tacos each or 1 large quesadilla with potential left overs!)
- 3 Large Portobello Mushrooms -wiped clean with a wet paper towel then sliced
- 1/2 Bell Pepper – diced
- 1/2 Yellow Onion – diced
- 3 cloves Garlic – minced
- 1 can Black Beans -drained
- 1/2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- Handful of Cilantro
- Handful of Baby Spinach
- 1/2 Tbsp Cumin
- 1/2 Tbsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 Tbsp Smoked Paprika
- 1/2 Lime – juiced
- Tortillas (These are my favorite Gluten Free Tortillas)
For the “queso”:
- 1 Cup Raw Cashews
- 1 Cup Salsa
- 1/3 Cup Nutritional Yeast
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 2 tsp Cumin
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- Dash of your favorite hot sauce *optional
For the “sour cream”:
- Dairy Free Plain Yogurt (this is my favorite) or Plain Greek Yogurt if you’re not Vegan
- Cilantro -chopped
- Pinch of Salt
- 1/2 Lime – juiced
- Put a pan on med high heat and add olive oil. Once pan is warm add peppers and onions with a pinch of salt & cook for 3 minutes.
- Slice your mushrooms in large strips then cut those strips in half and add to the pan of peppers & onions. Stir & cook for another 3.
- Add drained black beans and stir in the cumin, garlic powder & paprika and 1 tsp salt. Stir cooking everything together for about 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and stir in a handful of spinach. Add juice from 1/2 lime, stir & let mixture cool.
For the “Queso”
- Add all ingredients into a blender or bullet until creamy. Taste and add more hot sauce or salt if you need to.
For the “Sour Cream”
- In a small bowl add 2 heaping spoonfuls of yogurt, chopped cilantro (about 1 Tbsp), juice from 1/2 lime & a pinch of salt. Stir, taste and adjust seasoning if you need to
Assembly for Quesadillas:
- Put a pan on med heat and spray with cooking spray. Place one tortilla down and spoon mixture over the entire tortilla then drizzle the top with the queso. Place another tortilla on top, press down with a spatula and let cook for about 3 minutes. Slide a spatula under the bottom tortilla and while holding the top in place, carefully flip. Cook for another 3 minutes then transfer to your plate
- ***If you are using a large tortilla you can place the tortilla on the pan and spoon bean & mushroom filling on 1/2 of the tortilla, drizzle with the queso and then fold the “naked” side of the tortilla over the filling. Let cook for about 2 minutes to brown the tortilla, flip to brown the other side and let sit for 2 minutes, then transfer to your plate. Cut in half – this will give you 2 large pieces
- ***Or you can use a quesadilla maker 😉
- Enjoy your quesadillas with salsa, your sour cream and more queso!
Assembly for tacos:
- Place tortillas under the broil for 1-2 minutes to warm.
- Spread queso over the bottom of the tortilla, spoon bean and mushroom filling, top with salsa and sour cream!
**The quesadillas were the favorite but the picture didn’t look as good, that is why the tacos are pictured here 🙂